Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Itihaas-1

Vipralabdha- The Lovelorn

The flames have died out
Only the ashes remain-
the moon has set
there is no melody,only noise
the magic, the effulgence, the ecstasy
all a thing of the past
just a few beads
in the broken string of memories...


The flowers have wilted
No fragrance
Just a whiff of stench lingers
Yesterday in my heart
There was mirth and joy
Today fear, silence, sorrow reigns

My mind once a temple
An idol was worshipped
Offerings made
Today in ruins
Idol remains
Offerings still made
Alas-prayers remain unfulfilled
No fruits received

The mirror of my mind
Once dazzled in your love
Alas! All that was yesterday
Today, on it has collected
The dust of Estrangement
The reflections are
Dim, misty, grotesque-

Tell me, who was it
That held in her tresses
Time a prisoner
Was that I?
Tell me who was it
That bade Nature
To stand awaiting at her door
Was that I?
Tell me, my Kanu,
Was that really me
Who as I lay in your arms
Was Light, Power and Magic
You left-like the arrow
I remain like the empty quiver
Shuddering in rebound
Today what is left of me
Just me, my body, and my memories-

I remain trapped in the past
Hostage to memories
Of your embrace
My tresses that held Time captive
Alas! The very same snake shackles
Today imprison me-

Now, just me, my body
My Life-a Daze?
Like a cinder hidden among ashes
Like the last drop
In an empty vessel-
Like a mournful croon-
rising in having gained and then lost

3 comments:

Akhil said...

Ardra! To be very frank I was not aware of Kanupriya earlier, in fact I did not even know who Dr. Bharti is and what language he composes in. Searched google and found these lines....
"Dr. Dharamveer Bharti is one of the most renowned writers of Hindi literature, whose work has been performed all over the world and has even been translated into various other Indian & foreign languages."
I read less and try to write more,and am slowly trying to kill this nature. Ardra! I could not get a composition on the net, why dont you post original version too here somewhere, I must agree I am much comfortable in hindi than english. Never mind please.

Vivek Sharma said...

The melancholy, the pain rises like a fog over the tale of Radha Krishan; I see now why this story forms the basis of so much poetry.

SW said...


Lovely! The similes, metaphors - all have come out well. Beautiful!