Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Itihaas-3

Usi Aam Ke Neeche- Beneath the same Aamr tree

Those words that I uttered
As I hid my flushed face
In your bosom-
Today, I Wonder
if they ever meant anything????

When I proudly claimed
To have held
Time a prisoner
In my tressesToday
I wonder
Did that really happen?
Was all that merely a dream
Or Reality?
I can no longer remember-
all I know is
Even today-coming here
beneath this tree
Where you called my name
On your flute
My tormented soul
Finds solace and peace-


Nay, I refuse to think
I refuse to remember
Yet my restless, wanton fingers
They trace your name in the soil
Unknown to me
The very name
Which I call you by
During moments of our love
And suddenly I start!
I erase the name
That my treacherous fingers
Have traced in the soil-
Without remorse, regret-
What have I been reduced to?
Just an automaton
That at one moment
Scribes your name
And in the next
Erases it away-
without remorse?


Dusk falls-
I sit silently
In the gentle shade of
Our Aamr tree
A whiff of breeze
Gently caresses my cheek
Plays with my hair
I close my eyes
I try to imagine
That day when I sheltered you
In the folds of my garment
To protect you from the rain
And today
You are so far away-
Beyond reach
You have scaled
unattainable heights
But I cannot think further
Only that, here where you
Once gave me endless love
Today, I sit picking
Pebbles, straw and stones
Oh Kanu, tell me
What have I lost-
In your becoming A Legend?
What price did I have to pay
In your achieving Glory
I lie broken, unwanted, abandoned-

I still come here
Here, where we spent
Some blissful moments
The ground is strewn with
Fiery blossoms
All that remains even now
What has changed is
That, now I come alone-.
The parting in my hair is colourless
My steps falter
I return unfulfilled, desolate
Lost, forlorn-

Tell me, My Kanu,
All those words
That I spoke,
that you spoke
were they mere sounds?
Did they mean nothing?
Was all that just a Dream?
Or Wishful thinking?
I know not!!!???

2 comments:

Vivek Sharma said...

Ardra,

If reading these has such an effect on me, I am sure translation must have given you goosebumps. Even though I always knew, but before reading these translations I never truly realized how important the love story of Radha and Krishan is in Indian context.

mini sethu said...

I've read the lines over and over again.. it does not reduce the hopeless agony one feels..