Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Itihaas-6

Shabd- Arthheen-Words-Meaningless sounds

But how will you
explain to me my Kanu,

Words , sounds
are meaningless to me
if not uttered by You-
With your quivering lips-
As you sit beside me,
Playing with my tresses-

Words are mere sounds-
Duty, Faith, Decision, Responsibility-
I too have heard these words
Resound in lanes and alleys.
Perhaps Arjuna finds them meaningful!
But to Me-
Alas!These words mean nothing!
All I can see
As you utter them;
Is your moving lips,
Your dusky, swaying body,
Your long, slender neck,
Your raised sandal arms,
Your uplifted gaze,
Your magic weaving lips-
And I imagine;
Myself instead of Arjuna-
And my heart trembles
In longing, yearning-

I do not know
What the war is all about?
Whose side am I on?
What is the dispute?
What is the War for?
But my heart is filled
with yearning
Simply because
I love to listen
To You talking-
And the Armies come to a halt!
History awaits-
It is just me, only Me
Listening to you speak,
Utter words!


Duty, Faith, Decision, Responsibilities-
These words mean nothing to me;
I just keep gazing up at you,
Without batting my eyelids.
Every word, an offering,
I swallow into my soul.
Your effulgence
Sets ablaze
My wilted soul-

The words that you utter;
One after the other,
As they fall from your lips,
Like Rajnigandha blossoms,
When they reach my ears-
Become just Radha! Radhan!
The words, countless perhaps;
But their meaning just one-
Me! Me! only Me!
Then How My Kanu,
Will you explain
History to Me???