Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Itihaas-5

Ek Prashn-Just One Question

Alright My Kanu!
The Mighty Krishna!
Just suppose for a moment
That I grant
That those moments of bliss, ecstasy
Were just figments
of my colourful imagination
Just wishful thinking, dreams-
And that those words were mere sounds
Hollow and meaningless-

Even if I accept
Just for a moment
That sin, redemption
Duty, Justice, Punishment
Are all the whole Truths,
The Only Truths-

Even then I am helpless
My Kanu!
I still remain
the very same
Ignorant lass
Your frivolous playmate
Who knows only what you tell her
Even if I collate
all that you have given me
I fail to understand
This Mighty Truth-
This War,This Destruction-

The placid waters
of the Yamuna,
Where I used to sit for hours together;
Gazing at my reflection-
Today on its banks,
Are countless ships and boats;
Filled with weapons of Death!
Where are they bound ?
Those broken bits of chariots,
Shreds of torn flags-
Whose are those?


Defeated soldiers,
Victorious soldiers
The roars that resound the skies
The stories of War
Of pain, of sorrow..
Tell me ,Is this The Truth?
Did you beckon the vultures?
Like you used to beckon
your meek cattle once?
Is this The Truth
And not That which has passed?
I fail to understand Kanu,
It is beyond my limited
powersof comprehension
Someday, please have pity
And kindly explain to me
Just as you did To
The Valiant Arjuna
Tell me what is Truth?
What is the Meaning of all this?
And then perhaps
I shall accept that
The words that we spoke
Were perhaps
mere sounds, Hollow, meaningless-
Just dreams and not Reality!

2 comments:

Vivek Sharma said...

In words so simple, even Bhagwat Gita is put to question!! Dr Bharati I bow to thee.... and Ardra, I cannot help thanking you again and again for posting these!

janani sampath said...

you posts are too intenser, yet ur language is simple and prosaic..
love the way u write :)