Saturday, January 01, 2005

POORVARAAG: 1ST, 2ND, 3RD, 4TH, 5TH SONGS

Radha addresses the Asoka tree standing by the wayside. She asks it why has it been waiting so long to blossom, was it waiting for the touch of her feet to bloom? She reminds the tree that she had always been within it- in its roots, bark and leaves. She accuses it of not being aware of her presence . She had been waiting all along for spring to awaken her and blossom out as its flowers, fruits, fragrance and colour.

Radha addresses the Divine Melody within her, Today all of a sudden, you have burst into song from the lyre of my body! Melody springs from every pore, from the depths of my soul. How long have you been hidden within me, waiting to burst into song?

Radha describes her first meeting Krishna standing below the Kadamba tree, apparently indifferent to Radhas presence and how she mistook him for a Forest Deity lost in meditation. Only later does she realize that Krishna was so enamored by her salutations that He wanted to possess her wholly and was not to be satisfied by mere obeisance!

Radha, while bathing in the blue waters of the Yamuna, as she sees her quivering reflection in the water like a water creeper, imagines that she is in the arms of Krishna. She imagines that Krishna has removed all barriers and has taken her into His eternal embrace.
Radha is haunted by the fact that she returned from Krishna's side on the night of the Raas. She regrets having left Him and pines to be united with Him.

Tired after the day’s chores
I come here under the shade of the Kadamba
Weak, listless, I lay myself down-
Regret, Repentance taunts my soul
Oh! Why did I return from your side
That night of the Raas?
These feet of mine
That danced to the tune of your lute
In circumambulation of your blue hued self
How did they find their way back home
Oh why did I return?
Why did I not surrender myself to you
Fully and wholly?
Ah! you welcomed me
You received me
And you sent me home fulfilled
And now I am left
Pining for you
Yearning for you
What is it that you intend?
When I do not wish to come
You pull me along as if in a trance
By the deep resonant notes of your flute
And when I do not want to leave
You send me away
Leaving me yearning, pining...