Thursday, December 09, 2004

Kanupriya: Abt the poet Dr. Dharamveer Bharthi

I was introduced to Dr. Dharamveer Bharti's -Kanupriya- when I was doing my graduation way back in 1986. This collection of poems, its lyrical quality, the underlying philosophy and the sheer beauty of the language fascinated me. I attempted to work out a translation of this beautiful work simply in an enthusiasm to share my fascination. Need less to say, this feeble attempt is eons away from the magnificent original.

About Dharamveer Bharthi:

Dr. Dharamveer Bharti was born on 25th December 1926 in Prayaag. He completed his M.A. from the Prayaag University with a first class and later did his doctoral thesis under the guidance of Dr. Dheerendra Varma.He was the assistant editor of Sangam in 1948. He continued in this capacity for two years, after which he taught at the Hindusthani Academy till 1960.

While teaching at the Prayaag University, he helped in compiling the Hindi Sahithya Kosh. He also edited the Alochana and later brought out the magazine-Nikash: He came down to Bombay as the Chief Editor of :Dharma Yug:A young storywriter Uday Prakash directed a documentary film on Dr. Dharamveer Bharti for the Sahitya Academy Delhi in 1999.He passed away on 4 Th September 1997.He was awarded the Padmashri in 1972. In 1984, he received the Haldi Ghati Shreshth Patrakaarita Puraskaar by the Maharana Mewad Foundation. In 1988, he was awarded the Sarvashreshth Naatakkaar (Best playwright) Puraskaar from the Sangeet Naatak Academy- Delhi. He received the Bhaarath Bhaarthi Award from the Uttarpradesh Hindi Sansthaan in 1989. The Maharashtra Government gave him the title of Maharashtra Gaurav in 1990 and in 1994; the Birla Foundation honoured him with the Vyaas Samman .

Works:

Stories: Murdon Ka Gaav, Swarg aur Prithvi, Chaand Aur Toote Hue log, Band gali ki aakhri makaan, Saas ki kalam se.

Poems: Thanda loha, Andha yug, Saat geet varsh, Kanupriya, Sapna abhi bhi, Aadyaaanth.

Novels: Gunaahon ka Devta, sooraj ka satwaan ghoda, Gyaarah sapnon ka desh.

Essays: Thele par Himaalay, Pashyanthi.(Acknowledgements: www.anubhuthi-hindi.org)

A young storywriter Uday Prakash directed a documentary film on Dr. Dharamveer Bharti for the Sahitya Academy Delhi in 1999.
He passed away on 4 th September 1997.

I have attempted to share my fascination with these poems here.Please excuse the imperfections in the translations.

Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to the Professor who taught us Kanupriya- Ms. Hemaji -Providence Womens' College-Kozhikkode.

3 comments:

Vivek Sharma said...

yes gunahon ka devta is the novel I always wanted to read. Sooraj ka saatwan ghoda was made into a movie by Shyam Benegal I guess.

Thanks for pointing me to these pages Ardra!

Shiv said...

Hi Ardra,

Loved reading it as much as I enjoyed it, way back in college. I still feel the poignancy, but what I missed then was the spiritual aspect, which I now see from your translation. Thanks for the great job and for sharing it.

Regards,

Your friend :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ardra<
I am Dr,Bharati's daughter> want to get in touch with you.My email id is pragyab@hotmail.com> can u please write to me ur id or number on this mail

Pragya bharati